Steven's Spirit Cabinet: EXPLAINED
Mitch Leary
2003-10-23 20:52:09 UTC
Just saw the new Joe Steven's Spirit Cabinet and thought I'd share the
secrets here. The effect is offered for sale in the latest Steven's
catalog, No. 54, Winter 2003, Page 3. Price $255.oo.

This is a table top model, not the full sized human version
normally seen on stage. Several tricks have been combined into this
little cabinet including the Astro Ball effect, the Dean's Box effect,
and the Ring on Rod effect.

I think it's best to explain these tricks individually. You can build
a poor mans mock-up from from all sorts of materials, including
cardboard. And believe me, if you do these tricks with something that
people are used to seeing, like a cardboard box or a childrens lunch
box, you'll put the effect in the miracle class. If you bring out a
fancy painted box like that offered in the catalog people
automatically think it's a trick box of some sort.

Ring on Rod EXPLAINED:

A brass curtain ring and a long brass rod are passed for examination,
completely ungaffed. Rod is run through holes in the side of the box
and sticks out each side. Front doors are opened, ring set inside,
doors closed. Doors reopened and the ring has jumped up and linked
onto the rod. Two rings are used. As the rod is threaded through the
holes the second palmed ring is secretly threaded onto rod, but pushed
way over into a small recessed area in the side of the box. The
examined ring is set on the floor. Doors are closed. there are
various ways to get the ring into position, the easiest is to simply
tilt the box knocking the ring on the floor over to the side and out
of view. The same tilting action slides the second ring to the center
of the rod. Doors are opened and it looks like the ring has jumped up
onto the rod. This can also be accomplished with clear threads, one
pulls the floored ring out of the way, the second pulls second ring
over to the center of the rod.

Astro Ball Effect: EXPLAINED

A wine glass is placed in the cabinet and a little rubber ball is set
down on the floor of the cabinet beside it. Doors are closed, then
re-opened and the ball is now inside the glass. The ball has a long
piece of clear thread attached to it. There is a little pinhole in
the cabinet directly above the glass and the thread runs through it
and outside the cabinet. When you pull the thread from outside the
box the little ball raises up so its hanging directly over the glass.
Then you release the thread and the ball falls into the glass. This
all happens behind the closed doors of the little cabinet. When you
re-open the doors the miracle has apparently occured.

Shoe Laces Interlaced (Dean's Box Effect): EXPLAINED

You take the _centers_ of two very long colored shoe laces and poke
them in through the holes in the sides of the box; lets say red
through one side, white through the other. Then you close the doors.
You stick your hands in through the rear doors and bring out the shoe
laces LINKED. Note the ends are always in view sticking out of both
sides of the box. You pull the rest of the shoe laces completely
through the cabinet and hand them out for insection--including the
cabinet. It's completely ungimmicked in any way for all of these
effects.

The way the show laces are linked inside the cabinet is childs play
but looks mysterious as hell. With your hands inside the box and out
of view, all you do is twist them together around so they look linked
on top, then you bring out _this portion_ of the shoe laces, NOT the
tangled mess directly below them which would give the trick away. So,
the audience sees the linked centers in your hands, yet the ends are
sticking out of the holes in the sides of the cabinet. For some
reason it never enters their minds that there might be a tangled mess
out of view inside the box. Then, you slowly drag the rest of the
shoe laces through the box carefully un-tangling the mess as you do,
all the while keeping the centers in full view.

All of these effects are extremely simple but baffle the hell out of
those not in-the-know. I hope you understand the last effect, it's
very hard to describe with words. I's normally done with silks and is
in dozens of magic books.

-Leary-
Rahul Dhesi
2003-10-23 23:01:09 UTC
Post by Mitch Leary
Two rings are used.
If the description of an effect says it's done with a borrowed ring, as
this one does, isn't that intended to imply to the reader that duplicate
rings are not used? If not, then why would the description say "a
borrowed ring" instead of "a ring"?
Rahul
Mitch Leary
2003-10-24 01:47:02 UTC
Post by Rahul Dhesi
Post by Mitch Leary
Two rings are used.
If the description of an effect says it's done with a borrowed ring, as
this one does, isn't that intended to imply to the reader that duplicate
rings are not used? If not, then why would the description say "a
borrowed ring" instead of "a ring"?
If a borrowed ring is used it is ALWAYS a plain gold band--not too
hard to plan for. Note also that when the ring is removed it done so
from the rear of the cabinet through the rear doors, not the front
which remains closed.

-Leary-
Rahul Dhesi
2003-10-24 16:24:03 UTC
Post by Mitch Leary
Post by Rahul Dhesi
Post by Mitch Leary
Two rings are used.
If the description of an effect says it's done with a borrowed ring, as
this one does, isn't that intended to imply to the reader that duplicate
rings are not used? If not, then why would the description say "a
borrowed ring" instead of "a ring"?
If a borrowed ring is used it is ALWAYS a plain gold band--not too
hard to plan for. Note also that when the ring is removed it done so
from the rear of the cabinet through the rear doors, not the front
which remains closed.
I can see how that would work, but...the advertisement still seems a bit
deceptive. Clearly, the intent behind saying "borrwed ring" is to lead
the reader to believe that only one ring is used. So if the reader
already knows how to perform the effect using two rings, he will now
want to buy this new trick because he thinks it can be done with only
one ring.

At least half of the "new" effects I see advertised are just old effects
with new misleading descriptions.
Rahul
Will Tingle
2003-10-24 18:50:01 UTC
the advertisement still seems a bit deceptive.
welcome to magic catalogues...
--
Will Tingle
-Mark Lewis; author of "the long and short of it"
Tipsy MacStagger's Bar & Grill
2003-10-24 20:14:46 UTC
If you think my descrption of how the Spirit Cabinet works is wrong,
then by all means spend the $255 and buy the trick. Magic ads are
written to be deceptive and ambiguous. An ad for the Zombie for
instance says that no threads, magnets or small wires are used in this
trick. Well, some people read that, think no wires are used, order the
trick, then feel disappointed and scammed to learn a wire is in fact
used. Define small wire?

There is nothing new under the sun other than new titles and packaging.
Chrome plated crap as I call it. I can almost tell what will come out
next based on the 30 year old tricks I have. I can't believe that with
all the scientific breakthroughs the magic ads still sell 50 and 75 year
old tricks, some even older. I have one of the largest collections of
magic catalogs in the world going back to the late 1800s. I see things
in this months magic magazines that were for sale in the 1930's, just
with new packaging. And boy did they make magic to last back
then--plastic wasn't invented until World War 2 and everything was made
of wood, steel, brass, etc. Even a simple $1.oo Ball Vase was made from
wood. Today you'll spend $150.oo for that kind of work.

I seldom buy magic anymore, nothing fools me. I am however trying to
keep abreast of scientific ideas that could be used to create new
effects. Other than Genii and Magic magazines, I have a subscription to
Scientific American--it's the best magic magazine on the market.

-Leary-
Ray [NOSPAM] Haddad
2003-10-25 05:13:15 UTC
Post by Tipsy MacStagger's Bar & Grill
And boy did they make magic to last back
then--plastic wasn't invented until World War 2 and everything was made
of wood, steel, brass, etc.
Mitch,

Plastics have been around for over 100 years now. Their first use was in high
voltage electrical work. Nikolai Tesla used Bakelite(tm) as a core material for
his high voltage coils. Henry Ford used a lot of it in manufacturing the Model A
and Model T in the early part of the 20th Century.

The patent for Bakelite(tm) was issued in 1907. Cellophane was invented in 1908.
George Washington Carver exprimented with making plastic from the soy bean
before 1900. His work is documented but he didn't patent the result. His
invention was technically celluloid, the same thing hard ping pong balls are
made from and early camera film.

Even the legendary Velcro(tm) material is over 50 years old, contrary to urban
legends that make the incorrect assertion that NASA and the space program were
responsible. The true fact is that Velcro(tm) was invented by George de Mestral
in 1948. He didn't actually patent it until 1957.

All of this information is available at the Library of Congress office of
Patents and Trademarks. Some is free and some will cost.

Best,
Ray
bill Green
2003-10-25 14:20:58 UTC
Re: Steven's Spirit Cabinet: EXPLAINED

Group: alt.magic.secrets Date: Fri, Oct 24, 2003, 1:14pm (EDT-3) From:
***@webtv.net (Tipsy=A0MacStagger's=A0Bar=A0&=A0Grill)
[...]
I get popular science mitch.
and somtimes popular makincks
i like it cause of goverment ufo misdiection new day time stealth
i see ideas of no covering what so ever no you see the staute of
liberty no ya do not in day time sunny blue sky ideas
i wounder if illusionist work for the goverment ? pentagon, area51
extc.

http://community.webtv.net/logicube/Awebsitefullofnice
Ray [NOSPAM] Haddad
2003-10-25 05:27:39 UTC
Post by Rahul Dhesi
Post by Mitch Leary
Post by Rahul Dhesi
Post by Mitch Leary
[...]
Most magic works best when the implication is described rather than the actual
event. For example, the intention of borrowing a ring is to imply the fairness
of the ring used and that works even if you later substitute another ring for
the one you borrowed.

If that fact eludes you, then you are in the wrong line of work.

Ray
cianuro
2003-10-24 01:42:56 UTC
Just a little version of Astro Ball Effect that I have been thinking about
that I just performed on my sister:

Used shoebox and a cup and a rubber bouncing ball.
Used IT

Althought the IT was attached to the ball and run through the tiny
un-noticeable hole in the top of the box, I let HER examine the box AND the
lid AND the ball (With the tiny blob of wax on it) AND the cup and let her
place them into the box and place the lid on it. I showed HER how to do the
magic by showing HER how to wave her hands over the box :o)
Its a bit bold, but if the lighting is right, it works a charm.

I let HER "feel" the magic and I let HER open the box. I touched nothing.
;o)

Needless to say, she was totally amazed.

The only drawback was that in practice, the IT broke numerous times while
pulling it through the cardboard, but if your gentle, you can pull it off.
(It also made a tiny bit of noise, so I had the radio on when I performed
it.)

Once again Mr. Leary, you saved me a lot of money. When you publish your
book, I promise to buy 2 copies to make up for it. ;o)

cianuro
-Leary-
Josho
2003-10-25 14:40:26 UTC
The Spirit Cabinet box is basically the same as the "Sefalaljia" box
that Busby sells/sold (it's a thing of beauty). There may be
differences in construction, but the effects are the same.

For those who are interested in these spirit cabinet effects, the
origin seems to be Stewart James's Sefalaljia routine as described in
THE JINX. (It is, of course, reprinted in the recent hardcover Stewart
James compendium, along with several later improvements.)

I first saw Sefalaljia performed roughly 30 years ago by Kreskin on
the Tonight Show. The cabinet was placed on a plank suspended between
two chair backs. The cabinet was a very plain wooden box, apparently
solid on five sides. The open front was simply two curtains on rods,
making for a very clean handling and a very ordinary-looking
construction.

His Astro Ball hookup utilized his ubiquitous clipboard. (James, I
think, suggested a skull in the original.) The clipboard was on top of
the box and the thread ran from the clipboard, through the pinhole in
the top of the box, to the ball. Once the ball and glass were set in
the cabinet, he closed the curtains and took his clipboard (which
automatically pulled the thread; the thread then pulled out of the
ball and dropped it in the glass). A spectator opened the curtains and
could actually remove the glass, with the ball in it, and examine
everything, including the box. It was, as Mitch says, in the miracle
class.

--Josh
-Leary-
Art Begun
2003-10-30 05:46:49 UTC
Actually the one thing I don't like about Astro Ball is that it seems
to me that it should be repeated...... which is impossible. But
somehow I think you would get triple the impact if you could do it
twice.
Tipsy MacStagger's Bar & Grill
2003-10-30 07:30:02 UTC
Why can't you do it twice? I do it with a crumpled up borrowed bill,
sometimes twice. The thread isn't going anywhere and doesn't break off
unless you pull it too hard. I see no reason why the effect couldn't
be repeated.